Here's good news: financial aid is available to help you pay for school.

What financial aid is available to engineering students?

Students seeking engineering scholarships or financial aid for a graduate degree should get advice as early as possible. Colleges and national organizations offer scholarships ranging from small amounts to full tuition, ask your financial aid office for more information. The federal government offers several student-aid programs to help pay for education costs, including:

  • Pell Grants
  • Federal Work-Study Program
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program
  • Federal PLUS Loans
  • Perkins Loan Program
  • State sponsored loan and grant programs

Will I have to pay tuition if I'm in a PhD program?

Most PhD students are offered support for at least the first year, and can expect to have support through their degree if they continue to make adequate progress. Support comes in the form of fellowships, teaching assistantships (TA), or graduate student research assistantships. Graduate student assistantships are generally 20-hour/week positions that pay a stipend, tuition and fees, and health insurance. Typically a PhD student will have a fellowship or TA the first year and then be offered a GSR in subsequent years by their advisor. Master's students may also be offered a teaching assistantship upon acceptance to a graduate program.

Are there other programs that will help me?

The following organizations encourage and support women and minorities pursuing careers as engineers and leaders: